We were ready to start our 10 days in Iceland ring road trip, do the Ring Road by car.
Our bags are packed, today is the day we are leaving! This was my first thought when I woke up on that day. The long-awaited trip was about to start!
Updated September 2020: We update this article regularly so you have the information fresh and up to date so you can better plan your trip.
If, like me, you are asking yourself “when is the best time to visit Iceland?” Well it always is, depending on what you plan to see and why you visit.
For us best time to go to the “Land of Fire and Ice” was in October. We chose October for our 10 days in Iceland trip because it is cheaper than in summer, the days are pretty long and it is not so crowded, and for us it seemed to be the best time of year for driving the ring road.
10 days trip to Iceland ring road by car
So the best time to visit Ice land might be late autumn or in spring if you wish to do the ring road in Iceland.
The summer is also a nice time if you wish to see the puffins.
We planned to go on the Ring Road and Golden Circle. We first rented a car and then we meticulously planned our 10 days trip. \
If you are curious to find out more about the car rental company we used please read more about it here: Car Rental Iceland Airport.
Get the best price for your car rental today
Let the Iceland adventure begin by exploring the land of fire and ice!
We started our 10 days adventure by doing the Ring Road in Iceland clockwise. The landscape is very beautiful and as a plus, most of the places to see are found on the right side of the driver, so the passenger next to the driver have very nice views.
I have an advice for you: Before you hit the Iceland Ring Road by car check the national weather site and the road condition.
There might be close roads or workings and if you know where the road is closed you can avoid all kind of limited situations and other possible problems and have more time to relax while on holiday.
If you are looking for a personalized Ring Road itinerary, a travel guide to Iceland and more information or advice, do not hesitate to comment below or contact us through the contact page.
We’ll be more than happy to help you plan your own trip.
Are you travelling to the Land of Fire and Ice to see the Northern Lights ?
Choose the best time for northern lights in Iceland:
- Best time to see northern lights in Iceland
- The Northern lights Iceland Ultimate Guide for 2020
- When is the best time of year for Northern Lights in Iceland
- 5 Best places to see Northern Lights in Iceland Travel Guide
If you are curious to read what we did each day, where we ate and what we visited you can read more about it in our travel guide to iceland, using the links below, each day of driving in Iceland includes amazing parts of Iceland, places where you can spend the night when you travel to iceland.
We planned our 10 days in Iceland Ring Road Bucket List Drive Tour as follows:
- Day 1 – Ring Road Iceland here we come! – arrive in Reykjavik and shop for supplies
- Day 2 – From Reykjavik to Laugarbakki tour in West Iceland.
- Day 3 – Laugarbakki – Akureyri
- Day 4 – Akureyri – Myvatn Lake (whale watching and swimming pool nature baths)
- Day 5 – Myvatn Lake – Egilsstadir (north Iceland)
- Day 6 – Egilsstadir – Hofn
- Day 7 – Hofn – Skogafoss (visit jökulsárlón glacier lagoon, lava fields and Diamond beach)
- Day 8 – Skogafoss – Reykjavik (Golden Circle)
- Day 9 – Reykjavik
- Day 10 – Blue Lagoon and fly back home
Every adventure has it’s own risks but you should take none and let the insurance company worry about the unexpected expenses when it comes to accidents, sickness or any other bad things that can possibly happen and turn your dream vacation into a nightmare.
We never leave home without a travel insurance and we advise you to do the same.
If you are preparing your trip don’t forget to also buy a holiday insurance so you can focus more on your trip and less on the unpredicted.
Simple and flexible travel insurance designed by travelers for travelers
Travel insurance for independent travelers and intrepid families. You'd rather not think about all of the things that might go wrong on your trip, but these things can and do happen.
This travel insurance has been designed to cover your trip essentials.
We wrote some more detailed articles on this subject here:
- Discover where is the Iceland located and why visit itWhere is the Iceland located if not right at the meeting point of two tectonic plates: the North America and Eurasia plates. Iceland is a … Read more
- Is Iceland in the Europe and its relation with the worldIs Iceland in the Europe? Is Iceland part of the European Union? What continent is Iceland in? These are just some of the questions I … Read more
- How dangerous and active are the volcanoes in Iceland today?Volcanoes in Iceland are spread all over the country and some of them are hidden between the thick ice cap from the southern part of … Read more
- This is all you need to know about ice caves of IcelandIce caves of Iceland, the Land of Fire, and Ice are mostly located in the southern part of the country and offer a unique experience of … Read more