I am pretty sure that when you hear about Amsterdam you are thinking to Red District and “coffeshops”. When I said coffeshop I am thinking of dedicated places where you can smoke cannabis for free.
There are many other best things to do in Amsterdam, but here are top 5 things to do while in Amsterdam list so you can better plan your trip.
Actually Amsterdam is more than that. Amsterdam is a very beautiful and modern city with nice architecture and romantic canals. There are so many things to do and see in and around the city. Below you can find our top 5 recommendations for Amsterdam.
Top 5 things to do in Amsterdam:
- Rent a bike and discover the city. In Amsterdam there are almost 1 million bikes, being of the world’s most bike-friendly cities in the world. This is one of the best thing to do in Amsterdam to discover the streets, the canals and the city’s architecture.
- Take a one day trip from Amsterdam. There are buses which leave very often from Amsterdam Centraal to picturesque villages like Volendam, Edam or Marken. The ride to one of these villages takes about 45 minutes and it is pretty cheap. You have the opportunity to discover another part of Netherlands, pretty different than the city.
- Another thing you can do is to visit the windmills around. The most known windmill near Amsterdam is Zaanse Schans. It is about 30 minutes drive from Amsterdam. There you can find well-preserved historic windmills and houses most of them being now museums, gift shops or workshops; some are still used as private residences.
- One of the best things to do in Amsterdam is to visit Amsterdam parks. Parks have a very important role in the local culture. Vondelpark is the largest one and has about 47 acres. Other notable parks are Westerpark, Sarphatipark and Rembrandtpark.
- Take a canal cruise. From the canals, Amsterdam looks different than from the streets. So, if you have time do not hesitate and take a canal cruise to see the other face of the city.
Cruises are one of the best things to do in Amsterdam.
Amsterdam is a very vibrant and modern city with many best things to do and see. For sure you should include it on your Europe trip.
Where to sleep in Amsterdam
There are many options when we are talking about Amsterdam. From simple hostels to fancy hotels you can find everything you want.
We chose to sleep at Crown Plaza Amsterdam because it has high scores on internet and was close to a metro station. With the metro, you can get everywhere in Amsterdam. It doesn’t take you long to reach the city centre from Crown Plaza Amsterdam ! Trust me! It has one of the best quality-price ratios from Amsterdam!
Amsterdam is one of the best destinations for a city break in Europe and if you will check on your list the above top 5 things to do in Amsterdam, you will make your trip unforgettable.