Italy is one of the very few countries in the world where you’ll find not just beautiful Italy cities to visit, but also amazing landscapes, beautiful beaches, tasty food and welcoming people.
I fell in love with this country from the moment I got off the plane and I have spent here more weeks than in any other European country to explore its amazing scenery.
Some of the following links are affiliate links. When you buy something using the retail links in our article, we may earn a small commission at no additional cost for you. You can read our full disclosure policy here.
You will be fascinated by its unbelievable landscape like the ones around Lake Como, Amalfi Coast and Cinque Terre and you definitely have to explore these places during your visit to Italy.
There are many things to be said about this country but in this article, I will present you 5 of the most beautiful cities in Italy to visit.
I will tell you which are the most important things to do in each city, how many days you need to explore the area and which are the best hotels where to spend your night for a wonderful experience.
I will start my top of the best cities to visit in Italy with Rome, the capital of the country and the largest city with a total population of around 3 million people.
The Italian city of Rome, also known as the “Eternal City” is a historic city packed with ancient ruins like Colosseum, Ostia Antica and is also home to the majestic Vatican City and the Sistine Chapel.
5 must-see things in Rome
- The Colosseum is a Unesco World Heritage site dated back to 72 AD, an epic monument to the gladiatorial battles
- The Pantheon, an architectural masterpiece built between 119 to 128 AD by Emperor Hadrian
- Trevi Fountain, the most iconic fountain in Italy hidden in a small piazza
- The Vatican with its amazing Sistine Chapel
- The Capitoline museums which are two palaces, home to the oldest public art display in the whole world
How many days you need to visit Rome
One of the best Italy cities to visit is full of amazing attractions so plan at least 4 full days or better 5 to explore the area.
Rome, among the best cities in Italy to visit, offers a wide variety of hotels, hostels and guesthouses where tourists can relax and sip a glass of local wine after a tiring day of exploring the city.
From all the available options from the city, my recommendation is The Talent Hotel, a beautiful 4 stars hotel recently renovated, that keeps the medieval vibe but offers the amenities needed for a comfortable stay.
Milan is a city suitable for everybody, with its elegant vibe and hidden attractions that make it one of the best cities to visit in Italy.
Milan is a very trendy city, a magnet for photographers, models, designers and artists from all over the world.
With its cosy and small historic centre and its beautiful attractions, Milan is a very popular destination for tourists from all over the world.
5 must-see things in Milan
- The massive Gothic cathedral that is known as Duomo di Milano
- Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, the oldest and the most beautiful shopping gallery in Europe
- The medieval fortress of Sforzesco Castle
- La Scala di Milan, the famous Milan Opera House, a masterpiece of Italian architecture
- Santa Maria Delle Grazie church, the place that hosts the beautiful artwork of Leonardo da Vinci called the Last Supper
How many days you need to visit Milan
For Milan, among the world-famous cities in Italy to visit you should book about 3 days if you want to have time to explore the most important attractions of the city.
Located just 5 minutes walk from Duomo di Milano and Teatro Alla Scala, Hotel Spadari Al Duomo is one of the best places to stay in Milan.
This is a laid back, family-run hotel that offers to its guests a family home feel and warm hospitality.
One of the oldest Italy cities to visit and the birthplace of pizza, Naples is a beautiful city located in southern Italy.
Naples gives you a true taste of Italy with its winding cobblestone streets, authentic pizza and real Italian flavour.
Naples old city centre is a Unesco World Heritage site dating back to 470 BC and has many incredible attractions to visit: three huge castles, a royal palace and a large variety of churches and cathedrals.
This amazing city is also the best place to set your camp if you are interested in exploring Mount Vesuvius, or take a day trip to the ancient ruins of Pompeii and Herculaneum, cities covered with volcanic ash when Vesuvius erupted in the year 79.
Stay safe abroad during COVID-19 pandemic
5 must-see things in Naples
- Climb Mount Vesuvius
- Explore Naples National Archeological Museum located in a beautiful building dating from 1750
- Explore the secret underground of the visit such as the San Gennaro Catacombs
- Visit Castel Nuovo, one of the main historical sites of the city created in 1282
- Cappella Sansevero built-in 1590 once a private building for the Duke of Torremaggiore
How many days you need to visit Naples
If you intend to visit just the city, then 3 days will be enough for you if you plan to visit just Naples city without the surroundings.
This period of 3 days can be extended by at least 2 days if you plan to visit Mount Vesuvius and the ancient ruins of Pompeii and Herculaneum.
For your nights in Naples book a room at Grand Hotel Oriente Naples located in the historical centre of the city.
It is a very cosy and beautiful hotel close to the city centre that offers good quality services and clean and spacious rooms.
You will not find here the renowned balcony where Romeo and Juliet declare their love, but for sure you will find here one of the most romantic cities in Italy to visit.
It is one of the most popular city to visit in Italy with more than 50.000 tourists a day and the 28th most internationally visited city worldwide.
This beautiful city in Italy was built on 120 islands that are linked to over 400 bridges and separated by almost 180 canals.
5 must-see things in Venice
- St Mark’s Square (Piazza San Marco), the heart of the city from where you can easily reach most of the main sites from Venice
- Doge’s Palace built in Venetian Gothic style and served as the residence for the Doge and today one of the most beautiful museums in Italy
- Ponte Rialto, the most popular bridge that spans over the Grand Canal, a great place to be at sunrise and sunset from where you can admire the gondolas, vaporettos and ferries travelling the Grand Canal.
- Take a gondola ride along the beautiful canals of the city
- Saint Mark’s Basilica located near the Doges Palace, one of the busiest places from the city
How many days you need to visit Venice
2 or 3 days should be enough for you to explore this unique city and its main attractions, including some of the surrounding islands like Burano and Morano.
One of the most beautiful Italy cities to visit, Venice hides many interesting hotels and apartments where to spend your night.
Hotel Donà Palace is our choice for spending your holiday in Venice as it is conveniently located 2 minutes walk from Piazza San Marco ( St Mark’s Square) in a 14th-century building.
Florence is the birthplace of the Renaissance and is one of the most beautiful cities in Italy to visit because of its culture and history.
If you visit Florence you will be surrounded by world-famous works of art displayed in Accademia and the Uffizi Gallery.
You will fall in love with Florence and its tasty food and incredible Tuscany wines from the moment you step into the city.
5 must-see things in Florence
- Cattedrala di Santa Maria del Fiore or Duomo di Firenze, the largest structure in the world until 1881
- Piazzale Michelangelo from where you have a wonderful view over the entire city
- The Uffizi and Galleria dell’Accademia home to one of the most impressive artworks in the world
- Piazza Santo Spirito, a piazza full of markets and aperitivo located in the district of the Oltrarno
- Palazzo Vecchio built in Piazza Signoria and home of the city of Florence and former residence to the powerful Medici family
How many days you need to visit Florence
If you plan to visit just the city and nothing else than 2 full days would be enough to plan for Florence.
But it is a pity to be in the area and not to explore the surroundings, including the beautiful countryside and the cosy villages around, including Pisa city with its world-famous Leaning Tower.
That is why I advise you to plan 5 days for this magnificent city and the area around it, as there are plenty of beautiful attractions around.
For Florence, my recommendation is Hotel Pierre, located just 4 minutes from the medieval Ponte Vecchio Bridge and 6 minutes walk from Florence Cathedral.
These are the most beautiful cities in Italy to visit that should be included in your next holiday in Italy.
All these Italy cities to visit have their own charm and vibe and each of them is unique that is why you have to see them all.