With more than 6.000 islands and islets spread all over the Ionian Sea and the Aegean Sea, Greece is considered the best summer destination from Europe.
Choosing the most beautiful Greek islands to visit is a pretty difficult process but I am here to help you with it.
Here are the 5 best reasons why choose one of the most beautiful islands in Greece for your next destination:
- Beautiful whitewashed houses
- Turquoise waters
- Romantic sunsets
- Delicious food
- Amazing weather all year round
The great news is that all these islands are easily accessible by plane from Athens, from where there are direct flights on a regular basis and charters from most European countries during the summer season.
There is also the ferry option, with direct ferries from Athens port but this way is more time-consuming.
Most beautiful Greek islands:
The first choice when speaking about Greek islands is definitely Santorini, the most photographed place from entire Greece.
The beautiful island of Santorini is part of the Cyclades islands group and is a very romantic place, very popular among honeymooners.
From its marvellous sundowns and staggering multicoloured cliffs to whitewashed structures as well as ash-laden calderas, Santorini is most definitely blessed with a distinct landscape.
Its appeal makes it among the top areas to see in all of Greece, however so does its tasty Greek food dining establishments!
Your jaw will certainly go down simply at the view of its great blue roofings and also the bite of moussaka, but there are also many more things to do and also attractions to see.
Here are the most interesting things to do in Santorini, the most beautiful island in Greece:
- See the sunset from Oia, an emblematic town from Santorini, one of the most beautiful Greek islands
- take a day trip to hike to the top of the volcano
- Take the scenic hike from Fira to Oia
- Explore the archaeological site of the ancient city of Akrotiri
- Swim at the Red Sand Beach
Choosing Vedema Resort Santorini for your Santorini stay is a very smart decision.
Tucked away within the medieval village of Megalochori, the enchanting resort has evolved from a 400-year-old wine cellar and a 100-year-old mansion into an authentic, Cycladic-style property.
Dedicated to the needs of seasoned travellers, Vedema houses 59 spacious suites and villas, all with their own terraces and many with jacuzzis or private pools.
Find out wich are the best Greece Beaches that you cannot miss this year.
Mykonos is the best place to go if you are looking for incredible clubs and bars and like to party hard.
There are regular flights from Athens and many European cities to this island especially during high season, so getting here is extremely easy.
This is one of the most popular islands in the Aegean Sea with a very relaxed atmosphere, beautiful beaches and amazing sceneries.
You most probably will want to spend some time in the cosmopolitan and fashionable Chora from Mykonos Town and admire the pure white houses from the area.
The good news is that a large number of tourists did not affect the beauty of the island with its crystal clear blue waters from around.
Here are the most interesting things to do in Mykonos, the most beautiful island in Greece:
- Photograph the unique Mykonos windmills built by the Venetians in the 16th century
- Stroll along Matogianni Street from Mykonos Town, the place where it all happens
- Relax in the Alefkandra (Little Venice) located in the western tip of the Old Harbour
- Visit the Church of Panagia Paraportiani from the Kastro neighbourhood, a monument built between the 15th and 17th century.
- Perfect your tan on one of those beautiful beaches: Agios Sostis beach, Elia beach, Kalo Livadi and Kalafatis beach
Set in a whitewashed cuboid building a minute’s walk from Platis Gialos Beach on one of the most beautiful Greek islands, Petinos Hotel Mykonos is an amazing hotel overlooking the Aegean Sea, 3 km from Mykonos Island National Airport and 4 km from the iconic Mykonos windmills.
Freebies include a breakfast buffet and an airport shuttle.
There’s a bar, a TV lounge, and an informal restaurant with a seafront terrace, plus access to a spa, pool and gym at a sister property.
The Mediterranean’s fifth-largest island was the native home of the oldest civilisation in Europe, progressing in 2700 BC.
To be familiar with the Minoans you can venture via Bronze Age historical sites across the island, and also visit the sensational Archaeological Museum from Heraklion.
Away from civilisation, the island is sprayed with a chain of mountains as well as gorges like the life-altering Samaria, as well as a few of the most attractive beaches you’ll ever before lay your eyes on.
Here are the most interesting things to do in Crete, the most beautiful island in Greece:
- the ancient ruin of The Palace of Knossos built 3.000 years ago by the Minoan civilisation
- Lay back on the beautiful Elafonisi beach, a natural reserve with pink sand and amazing waters
- Explore the Samaria Gorges, a 16 kilometres hike with breathtaking sceneries
- Visit Rethymnon Old Town, the third-largest town from Crete and the best preserved from the whole island
- Balos Lagoon one of the most beautiful places from the island with its shallow waters
Stretching across 143 acres, Blue Palace Crete has no main building but it is surrounded by bungalows, suites & villas that are dotted around a gentle slope, leading to its impressive beach and breathtaking bay.
All rooms open up to extended verandas, most of them with a private pool and all with beautiful views to the Aegean Sea and Spinalonga island.
Breakfast is complimentary. There are 5 restaurants and 3 bars, as well as a spa, a private beach, a gym and a kids’ club.
A volcanic island with a big natural harbour and rich geology, Milos one of the most beautiful Greek islands has actually been a very important mine for millennia for minerals and products like obsidian, sulphur, and also plaster.
The island’s geology gives us amazing seaside sights that pictures can’t do justice, like Sarakiniko and Kleftiko, and also the kind of beaches that can make you gasp.
In the Bronze Age, Milos was home to the city of Phylakopi on its north coast, the greatest port in the Aegean at the time.
Stay safe while you travel
- medical safety abroad
- medical assistance including COVID-19
- emergency medical evacuation
- trip interruption -up to $5.000
- travel delay - up to $100/day
Later Ancient Klima was the area where Venus de Milo was discovered in 1820. This legendary artwork was produced in the second century BC, and a duplicate of it can be found at the Archaeological Gallery.
Here are the most interesting things to do in Milos, the most beautiful island in Greece:
- Kleftiko, an amazing natural oasis reachable only by water with white cliffs, hidden caves and natural arches.
- Sarakiniko, a moonscape scenery without any sign of vegetation, just white cliffs sculpted by sea and wind surrounded by crystalline waters
- The incredible beaches spread all over the islands, especially Firiplaka beach, Paliochori beach and Tsigrado beach
- Plaka Castle, once a refuge from pirate attacks and today one of the best places to admire the island from above
- Ancient Theatre of Milos located on a hilly region which could accommodate up to 7.000 spectators
Situated in Paliochori, 8,5 km from Sulphur Mine, Volcano Luxury Suites Milos features accommodation with a restaurant, free private parking, a fitness centre and a garden.
Boasting family rooms, this property also provides guests with a terrace.
The hotel has a hammam, room service and free WiFi throughout the property.
All rooms at the hotel are fitted with a seating area, a flat-screen TV, a private bathroom, and a patio with a sea view.
Because of its position, facilities and high quality of services, it is one of the best choices to stay when in Milos.
The second-largest Ionian Island, Corfu, one of the most beautiful Greek islands has seen the Byzantines, Venetians, French and also British reoccur over the last 1,000 years, and all these cultures have left something behind.
If you need a place to start, attempt the World Heritage Old Town of Corfu City, which is guarded by two magnificent Venetian citadels that endured every little thing that the Ottoman Empire might toss at them.
Corfu’s coastline is sprinkled with resorts, some even more attractive than others.
However, if you’re a free spirit you can rent a car and set your own amazing tour of the secluded coves, sandy beaches as well as castles and abbeys stranded on rocky stands all over the island.
Get the best price for your car rental today
Here are the most interesting things to do in Corfu, the most beautiful island in Greece:
- Corfu Old Town with its beautiful streets and alleys leading you between Venetian and Neoclassical houses
- St Spyridon Church with its beautiful Renaissance bell tower dating from 1580
- Achilleion, Neoclassical palace designed by the Italian architect Raffaele Caritto and used as a summer residence by Elisabeth of Bavaria, Empress of Austria
- The incredible beaches Paleokastritsa, Canal d’Amour, Mirtiotissa and Issos
- Kassiopi, a traditional fishing village from the northeastern part of the island
Inspired by Corfu’s rich heritage, the brand new Domes Miramare Corfu takes elements from the past to create something uniquely contemporary.
Offering an elegant, adults-only setting, it’s perfectly suited for globe travellers looking for authentic, meaningful experiences.
Located in the island’s most prominent waterfront location, its majestic views and serenity are combined with modern Greek cuisine helmed by Michelin-starred chef Tassos Mantis and various tailored-made experiences that further highlight this extraordinary destination hotel.
These are the most beautiful Greek islands, the perfect destination for your summer holiday.
They are beautiful and very easy to reach not to mention they have one of the best prices in Europe.
Pick the most beautiful island in Greece based on what I’ve just told you and let yourself lost on its narrow streets of the Old Town, perfect your tan on a spectacular beach and taste the delicious Greek food.
This is what I am calling the perfect summer holiday after so many days under lockdown!
Logistical tips and tricks for your trip
Book your accommodation
We always use Booking.com as they have the best price-quality ratio and they offer a wide range of hotels, guesthouses, apartments, and villas to choose from.
You will find here all types of accommodations, from the cheapest ones to the most luxurious.
Don't forget travel insurance
We never leave home without HeyMondo Insurance or Safety Wings Insurance as they offer the best services and a good value for money, plus COVID coverage.
Travel insurance will always protect you against unexpected events and cost like illness, COVID, injury, theft, or travel cancellation.
We never go on any trip without travel insurance and there were many cases when we had to use it.
Renting a car
We like to explore a country on our own and a car gives us the mobility and freedom to do that.
We always rent our car from Discovercars as they have free cancellation 48 hours prior to starting date and a wide range of car rental companies and options to choose from all over the world.
Tours and attractions
When we are looking for some adventure or we simply want to break up the monotony and discover new places, we always use GetYourGuide.
We love it because we always find the most amazing experiences, with free cancellation and a large variety of activities and tours to choose from.
Airplane tickets and holiday packages
Expedia is our ally when searching for the best price for airplane tickets as it works as an aggregator for a huge number of airlines and we always find the best price for our flights.
Travel tip: use Expedia when you are searching for holiday packages as they have many last-minute offers and great discounts for hotels, flights, and even the whole holiday packages.