Here’s where to go for best greek islands weather in October

Greece is one of the most beautiful European destinations all year round because of its mild climate, beautiful islands and amazing food.

Weather for Greek islands in October

Most tourists rush to visit Greece during summer months when the days are long, extremely hot and dry.

I don’t say this is wrong but during the tourist season the prices are higher than usual, the crowds are everywhere and the authentic vibe seems to disappear.

greek islands weather in October
Greek islands October weather

 

I always like to go to a destination during shoulder season, when prices are lower and I have the unique opportunity to taste the local flavours without being disturbed by noisy tourists.

Shoulder seasons for Greece are from April to May and September to October.

Last time when I went to Greece was October and these Greek islands weather in October was perfect for sightseeing and bathing.

Let’s discover together which are the best greek islands to visit in October and how’s the weather during this time of the year.

From all Greek islands these have the best weather in October:

  1. Santorini
  2. Rhodes
  3. Crete
  4. Zakynthos
  5. Corfu

1. Corfu best Greek islands weather October

Like September, Corfu is another warm and sunny autumn month with average temperatures around 19 degrees Celsius ( high temperature is around 23 degrees Celsius while the lowest temperature is around 13 degrees Celsius).

The sea temperature is somewhere around 22 degrees Celsius, perfect for a short bath into the sea before laying in the sun.

For most of you, the seawater is warm enough for swimming but there might be others who will consider the seawater a little bit too cold.

Anyway, you have to admit that the good weather from outside for sightseeing and probably warmer than in your home-country.

According to the statistics, there are about 11 days of rain in October, so you don’t have to worry too much about this.

Take with you a raincoat and hit the road as the weather for Greek islands in October is perfect for exploring.

2. Zakynthos best Greek islands weather in October

Zakynthos is another great destination for October if you want to explore the Greek islands.

The climate of the island is pretty mild during this time of the year, with colder mornings and evenings so you’d better take a jacket with you when you go outside.

The average temperatures are around 20 degrees Celsius with the maximum temperature of around 24 degrees Celsius and the average minimum of 15 degrees Celsius.

Based on last year’s weather I would say that you will have a 59% chance of a perfect sunny day and just 41 % chance of seeing some clouds.

At this rate, I would say you should definitely plan your trip to Zakynthos as soon as possible!

This is for sure the best autumn escape close to Europe and with low risk of Covid-19 and attractive season rates.

ISLAND
AVG TEMP
SEA TEMP
SUNSHINE HRS
RAINFALL MM
Rhodes 21°C 21°C 8 67
Santorini 20°C 22°C 9 39
Crete 23°C 23°C 7 41
Zakynthos 20°C 22°C 7 148
Corfu 19°C 21°C 7 118

3. Crete – weather for Greek islands in October

October is the second autumn month on this incredible island but because of its mild climate, it is the perfect time for exploring the island.

The average temperatures are around 23 degrees Celsius, which makes this island the hottest greek island in October.

The sea temperature is also good for bathing being around 23 degrees Celsius.

The warmest places from the island are generally located right near the sea, more or less at the sea level.

These will also have fewer days with rain compared with the town from inside the island and located at a higher altitude.

According to scientists, you will have 62 % chances of a perfect sunny day and only 38% of seeing some clouds in the sky.

So pack your bags and hit the road because it’s time to explore Crete, one of the best Greek islands weather October!

4. Santorini- Greek islands weather in October

For sure one of the best months to visit Santorini is October because the number of tourists is lower than during the peak season.

The first part of October, especially the first week of October is still a great time for island hop as the weather in Greece is still mild and there are enough hours of light.

Weather for Greek islands in October
Weather for Greek islands in October

There are still regular ferries from Athens to Santorini and cruise boats which arrive at the island on a daily basis but they bring fewer tourists than in summer.

Most restaurants, cafes and hotels are still open and the prices are lower than in July and August.

Maybe the seawater is a little too cold for a swim but the weather is perfect for sightseeing.

This is the perfect moment to explore the whole island and why not, book a wine tour.

Santorini: 4-Hour Small-Group Wine Tasting Tour is our recommendation if you want to taste the local wines and visit one of the most important wineries from the island.

Santorini 4-Hour Small Group Wine Tasting Tour
Santorini 4-Hour Small Group Wine Tasting Tour

5. Rhodes- weather for Greek islands in October

The last but not least on my list of the best Greek islands weather in October is Rhodes.

This island like the rest from my list has mild weather with many days of sun and perfect temperatures for sightseeing.

There is the medieval town and the stunning Lindos castle, many ancient ruins and a very interesting landscape, all waiting to be discovered.

The average temperature is around 21 degrees Celsius during the day, with maximum temperatures of 24 degrees Celsius and minimum temperatures around 17 degrees Celsius.

Rhodes Rodos Greece Greek Beach
Rhodes Rodos Greece Greek Beach

If you are wondering how wet Rhodes is, then you have to know that based on the last year’s forecasts, the specialists estimate an average of 7 days of rain during the month.

All these 5 islands have a mild climate with many sunny days and warm temperatures the entire months. All these greek islands weather in October is perfect for sightseeing, exploring and relaxing on a beach.

There are just a few rainy days so you don’t have to worry about them and start planning your trip to these islands!

The sun and the sea are waiting for you, while the prices are lower and the offers are extremely tempting!

Related Posts

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.