Amsterdam is the capital city of Netherlands and one of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe.
It was built on a fisherman small village which developed and grow over time, becoming what it is today.
The Dutch Golden Age in the 17th century found Amsterdam as one of the world’s most important centres of trade and the city rapidly extend during those times.
The official coat of arms symbol of the city consists of a red shield and a black pale with three silver Saint Andrew’s Crosses, the Imperial Crown of Austria, two golden lions and the motto of the city.
Today this is a flourishing city, the seat of Government and the most visited place from the Netherlands.
Where is Amsterdam Located
The city is located on the northwestern part of Europe, in the North Holland province and is also known as the “Venice of the North” because of its romantic canals.
The Netherlands is incorrectly known as Holland and the locals are called Dutch.
I am sure that you heard many times people referring to the Netherlands saying Holland, but do you have any clue why is incorrectly to say Holland?
Well, because Holland refers to two main provinces, North Holland and South Holland which were the dominating provinces of the Netherlands.
From where is Amsterdam on the map located you can easily get to other most important cities of the Netherlands.
There are just 60 kilometres from Amsterdam to The Hague, 75 kilometres to Rotterdam and 45 kilometres to Utrecht.
A tour across all these wonderful cities seems like a great idea if you plan to visit Netherlands!
Some of us might think that The Hague is the capital of the Netherlands because there is located the Dutch Government.
Most of us consider Amsterdam as the capital of entertainment and one of the most vibrant and cosmopolite cities of the Netherlands, but it is also the capital of the country.
It is one of the most visited destinations from the Netherlands, with a total number of 4 million tourists annually.
All these people come to see the Old City centre with its wonderful buildings, to visit the museums and to experience how life is in one of the most liberal and international cultures in the world.
The country’s gateway to the world is the Amsterdam airport Schiphol, located 9 kilometres southwest of Amsterdam, transited by more than 70 million passengers in 2019.
I am sure this article helps you located better Amsterdam on the world’s map and now you know how to plan your trip to maximise your time spent abroad and visit as many attractions as possible
Travel without worries during COVID-19
What to see in Amsterdam
There are numerous things to see and do in Amsterdam during the entire year and most of these attractions are covered by the I Amsterdam City Card, a card which gives you free entry to Amsterdam’s most popular attractions.
From all the city most popular tourist attractions, I will list below the most beautiful ones and the most interesting activities you should do when visit the areas of Amsterdam.
- Get lost in Jordaan neighbourhood
- Try their local herring from a herring cart
- Take a day trip to the Netherlands countryside to admire the windmills and the beaches from the North Sea
- Take a tour in Museumplein, home of Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Stedelijk Museum and The Royal Concertgebouw.
- Cruise past canal houses and bridges
- Try a local beer in a traditional brewery
- Dry a cocktail in one of Amsterdam’s rooftop bars
- Go and see how Anne Frank lived at the museum dedicated to her, Anne Frank House
- Stroll along the Central Park of Amsterdam and try the local pancakes
- Discover the Red Light District and Amsterdam’s shopping streets and city center
- Travel back in time with Netherlands in World War II tour to find out the role played by this city in the European history
- A big must on the list with the best places to visit when in Amsterdam is the Cannabis Coffee shops for which the city is famous for.
Where to sleep
We set our camp at Crown Plaza Amsterdam , a very beautiful hotel located outside the city centre but very close to a metro station.
The rooms were clean and the services were great, and from there we explore Amsterdam and its surroundings!
We recommend you to do so as the hotel has one of the best price-quality ratios from the city!
This is all you need to know about where is Amsterdam in Europe located and which are the most important places to see during your trip to the Netherlands.
Pack your bags, book your room and prepare your comfy shoes as Amsterdam attractions are waiting for you!