Greek islands weather September: travel tips and more

No matter if you are an active adventurer or a cultural fan or you are just looking to spend a few days in the sun, Greek islands weather September is perfect for your trip.

Most of the Greek islands to visit in September are the perfect destination for a relaxing holiday as the crowds are gone, the prices go down and the weather is still sunny and warm.

Saint Paul BeachGreek islands weather September
Saint Paul BeachGreek islands weather September

Greek islands in September

The first half of September is considered to be high season so don’t be surprised to see people roaming around and it might be hard for you to find a good hotel available or a free table at a traditional taverna.

But all these things change starting with the second half of September when most of the Europeans return home and Greek’s summer holidays come to an end for most tourists.

This is the perfect time to go to Greece if you are looking for a quiet holiday and to enjoy a few relaxing days at the beach as the weather is still great.

Greek islands weather September

When we talk about the weather in Greece, September might be the best time of the year to go as the weather is not too hot, nor too cold for bathing and perfecting your tan.

What I can tell you for sure is that September is famous for having great beach weather, particularly in the first part.

Crete Greece Greek islands in September
Crete Greece Greek islands in September

In most of the areas, the average daily temperature is around 25 degrees Celsius and during midday, it might go up to 30 degrees Celsius.

No wonder why Greece is considered the hottest European country in September, especially the southern part of the country which is much warmer than the north!

Greece enjoys an average of 11 hours of sunshine every day during the month of September, making outdoor activities ideal.

The sea temperature is still warm enough for a bath, with an average value of 23 degrees Celsius.

As for the rain for Greek islands in September, I can tell you that you have 88% chance of a perfect sunny day and only 12% chance of seeing some clouds in the sky.

With an average of 6 mm of rainfall the entire month there are only 5 days of rain, but don’t worry I won’t rain from morning till evening.

There might be scattered showers or half a day of rain and after that, the sun will come up and warm the atmosphere.

Where to go depending on Greek islands weather September

The party islands like Mykonos, Paros or Santorini are still full of tourists and have a really active nightlife in the first part of September.

More than that, during this time of the year, Santorini is home of a major music festival which attracts tourists from all over the world.

Stay safe abroad during COVID-19 pandemic

  • medical safety abroad
  • medical assistance including COVID-19
  • emergency medical evacuation
  • trip interruption -up to $5.000
  • travel delay - up to $100/day

The sandy beaches from the Cyclades islands and the party scenes from Mykonos and Santorini still guarantee you memorable moments with your friends and families.

Visiting Santorini or Crete and Rhodes, two of the most popular family friendly islands to visit in mid September is a very smart decision as the prices are low, the weather is still warm and the crowds have gone.

After the first 2 weeks of September, as most of the European schools start, the number of tourists decreases but the bars and clubs are still packed with party people.

If you are looking for more quiet islands then you should head to the Ionians, Saronic and Dodecanese islands.

You can also use ferry connections for island hopping or take day trips from one island to another as you still have plenty of options to choose from even if the peak season is over.

For those of you not interested in a boat trip and looking just for bathing and perfecting your tan, the first part of September is the best choice.

Actually, the second part of September is more suitable for adventure activities and cultural tours like hiking Crete’s Samaria Gorge or exploring the ruins of the Minoan palaces and towns.

What to do in Greek islands in September

In the second part of September, you can plan a wonderful sightseeing tour as the crowds have gone and the queues are really small compared with the ones from the summer.

This part of the year is the peak season of the olive and vine harvest so a great time to focus on wine-producing regions such as the islands of Santorini, Crete or Samos.

September is also a good time to visit Greece is you are an active person, as the climate is moderate and you can hike and explore the islands.

One of the most beautiful hikes from the islands is the Crete’s Samaria Gorge while kayaking in the Sporades is another popular attraction, especially in the hot days.

Because waters of the seas are still warm you can practice scuba diving in famous sites like Chios located in the Northern Aegean or in the Dragonisi Caverns located in the southern part of Mykonos.

September events

As Greek islands weather in September is still warm and perfect for outdoor activities, there are many events this month out of which the most important are:

1. Aegina Fistiki Festival

It is a 4 days festival which takes place on Aegina island located near Athens.

It celebrates which live music and dances the pistachio harvest as Aegina is a major producer.

2.International Music Festival from Santorini

This event lasts for 2 weeks and where take part international artists from all over the world performing classical music and opera.

3. Festival of Tastes and Traditions of Rhodes

This is the perfect place to go if you like to try Greek traditional cuisine.

The festival lasts for 2 days and is a great opportunity to taste local wines and dishes.

Greek islands weather September is just perfect for the last summer escape before winter comes.

Pack with you the swimsuits, suncream, a hat and many T-shirts and enjoy your time spent in these magnificent Greek islands.

If you travel in the second part of September when the weather is a little bit cooler, pack also a sweater and long pants as you might need them during the evening or early in the morning of Greek islands in September.

Related Posts

Leave a comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.